This post is part of a series on Debunking the 10 (+1) Lies About Trans People.
Myth #5: Transgender people are radical liberals with crazy ideas
Another one of those weird connections often made in peoples’ minds is between transgenderism and extreme liberalism. I suppose it goes back to that idea that since transgender people are breaking through one social barrier, we are assumed to want to do away with all social barriers.
There is really no foundation for this claim. Transgender people come from many walks of life, varied religious traditions, and various political affiliations. Case in point: I am Catholic and politically independent – hardly an “extreme liberal.” In fact, I am pro life and pro subsidiarity, two supposedly “conservative” values.
Being transgender inevitably shapes one’s political and social views, but for different people it shapes them differently. Some trans people react to their state by wanting to tear down the male-female dichotomy in society and bring about a change in how we view gender. Others just want society to be more accepting of their condition. Some think that the male-female dichotomy and the institution of the family are totally awesome, and just want society to admit there are exceptions to the rule. The political/social views are as varied as the people who hold them.
There really is no rule for where a trans person will fall on a political spectrum. Trans people are like everyone else in this regard, and should not be pigeonholed as anarchists.
Once again, this blog is a case in point. The reason this blog exists is to provide – among other things – a distinctly Catholic opinion on the ramifications of transgender reality. The fullness of Catholic spirituality and culture is hardly liberal or conservative; it is a paradox of ideas that includes many “liberal” notions like pro-environment and pro-social justice as well as many “conservative” ideals like the importance of tradition and the existence of a universal morality. Being trans and Catholic gives me an unconventional paradigm by which I view society, but that paradigm is hardly straightforward liberalism.
- Myth #1: Transgender people live crazy lives.
- Myth #2: Transgender people are confused.
- Myth #3: Transgender people are mentally disturbed.
- Myth #4: Transgender people are gay.
- Myth #5: Transgender people are radical liberals with crazy ideas.
- Myth #6: Transgender people hate their bodies.
- Myth #7: Transgender people perform in drag shows.
- Myth #8: You can tell someone is transgender just by looking at them.
- Myth #9: Transgender people aren’t “real” men or women.
- Myth #10: Transgender people are weird.
- Myth #11: Sex and gender are straightforward.